Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Entertainer

So, my long awaited update. Ready or not, here it comes!

Let's start with the good. Or mixed, at any rate. I was asked to stage manage for the Christmas show in TCT. As my first time as stage manager, I didn't think I did too bad. According to the director, the crew, and the actors they also think I did fairly well. Well enough that the spot operator asked me to stage manage for his show, whenever it was, a family friend who is also a director asked me to run sound for the current show, I got asked last minute to step in as stage manager for another director who had one but his SM had family problems and couldn't do it, and the husband of the director for the Christmas show asked me to SM for his show in June. Apparently word is getting around that I didn't completely fail. Which is definitely an ego-boost for moi.

Work is being stupid. I've started a list of "what they don't teach you in training," and while darkly humorous it is also somewhat depressing. Things started blowing up for the workers at the beginning/middle of December, which means stuff had to get shuffled to me, which means things have been blowing up for me. While the rate of explosion has gone down, it's still near the "barely tolerable" zone. And I'm convinced that the workers (including my supervisor, I might add) have bonded together to form the "Convince Ch**** to become a Social Worker." Not 1, not 2, but 3 separate workers have told me to become an SW within the past couple weeks. And one of the workers mentioned that at the staff meeting they had with my supe, even my supe said I should be an SW. You can see where I'm basing my convictions. Normally one of the workers will just bring it up once or twice a month, but not all at once. Grr.

On the upside, I should be owning a dresser soon. I already put half down on the payment, I just need to put in the other half...which will be after next week's paycheck. Also on the paycheck front, I am no longer working for the bookstore. It makes me kinda sad, but at the same time it means I get weekends back. And considering how involved I am getting with theater again, it's actually better to have at least some free time. I also hope to spackle and repaint my room by the end of February. I'm not saying it will happen, but it might.

Hmm, I think that's pretty much it. There's some inner drama with my extended family, and things may be changing very soon with my immediate family, but that's it. I'm planning to go down south for a weekend at the end of this month, which will be some nice R & R. Well, the second R for sure. My friend and I don't seem to rest that much when we get together. What can I say?

"The Entertainer"-in the spirit of Billy Joel as opposed to Scott Joplin

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yeay for shows actually working!! I'm glad you didn't "totally fail" ^.~
You? A Social Worker? I can't see it... But hey, if that means a steady paycheck it can't be all bad, ne? ^.^;;
That is too bad about the book store... But yeah, having some time off is a good thing. Can't complain about that too much...
Good luck on your dresser! And I hope your R&R went well. :)